Saturday, November 12, 2016

Wagon Coffee Table

My husband's not always a fan of the "treasures" I bring home from my junking outings.
If he sees things sitting around not being used purposefully, he begins to badger me about getting rid of them  The other day he asked if I had plans for the rusted and slightly beat-up wagon that's been sitting on the back patio for the last couple of years.


I said, "Well, yes, Dear. This little red wagon is a classic. Why, it can be used for SO many things!"
"Like what?" he replied.
"Well...it's great for lugging loads of stuff...you know, like hauling plants from the car to the backyard, or carrying all our picnic stuff from the car to a...a picnic spot...you know, like loads of stuff."
"So when was the last time you used it?" he asked.
"...uh...,"
"That's what I thought," he said.

Knowing that my little, Radio Flyer wagon was now on my husband's purge-radar, I needed to find a use for it, and quickly!
As I mentioned before, the wagon had been parked on the back porch for quite some time, and I was having trouble thinking of any other place it could go and how I get more use out of it. I grabbed a cool glass of iced tea and headed out to the back porch. I set my tea down on the plant stand near my wicker chair and then parked the wagon in front of me, hoping it would inspire genius. I sat down in my chair, picked up my glass of tea, put my feet up on the wagon's edge, and pondered.
It took me longer than I care to admit that the perfect idea was right in front of me, quite literally right under my feet - a little, red wagon coffee table!

 

I dug around in the scrap wood pile and found a 2" x 6" from which I could build a table top frame.  I cut two lengths...


and two ends to create a basic rectangle base for a table. I attached the pieces together using wood glue and screws.


I added another short piece in the center for additional support. 


Next I added three 1" x 6" lengths cut slightly longer than the length of the wagon to create the table top, again attaching the pieces with wood screws.


The table frame fits snugly inside the wagon but...



 can easily be lifted right back out.
So now we have a great, little coffee table; AND the little, red wagon can still be used for its intended purpose..you know...to haul stuff!


No longer threatened to be discarded, the double-duty wagon has become an integral part of our back porch seating area. 

so much depends 
upon 

a little red 
wagon

worn and 
rusted

once again
useful

Inspired by The Red Wheelbarrow by William Carlos Williams

All photos taken by Paulette Rodriguez.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. It may take a little time for your comment to post. Thanks in advance for your patience.