Sunday, December 20, 2015

PVC Pipe Christmas Trees


I've been working on a Christmas yard display.
I wasn't going to put a whole lot up this year, but then I saw my neighbors' yards... 


Needless to say I felt compelled to join in!  I soon found myself scrounging for something!..Anything!

I love Christmas lights...at night.  All aglow they 're magical and twinkly.
During the day, however, they can look slightly depressed.
I decided if I was going to put up a display it had to be attractive during the day as well as at night.


Because we're using a small 5' tree on top of the old Victrola this year, I had a couple strings of lights and a whole bunch of snowflakes left over.  These would become the starting point for our yard display.


The front porch has its "winter fun" decor with sled, toboggan, and ice skates, so I figured I could continue the theme right on out to the yard.  
Each of the two trees in the front yard got its trunk wrapped with some twinkly lights, a couple of my sleds were set up between, and threaded snowflakes on fishing line were hung from the trees.  

It looked pretty good...for a start.
Thinking it just needed a little something extra, I decided to head to the big box home improvement store to pick up some fence pickets with which to make a picket pine tree.
Somehow while walking around the store, I decided to chuck the picket idea and make a tree out of PVC instead...and then the one became three!


I picked up two 10' lengths of 3/4" PVC Charlotte pipe, a 10' length of 1" pipe, some cross connectors and some caps, and a couple rods of rebar. I decided to make one large tree and two smaller trees. By my on-the-fly calculations I needed 4 cross connectors and 9 caps for each of the smaller trees and 5 cross connectors and 11 caps for the larger tree.


I began to build the center post of each tree determining the lengths as I went along.


Once I determined how long I wanted the pieces, I measured the lengths...


and cut the pieces to size using PVC pipe cutters.

The larger 1" pipe tree started with an 18" length and a cross connector and then 12" lengths with cross connectors between each.  The final top piece was 8" and topped with a cap.
For the smaller 3/4" pipe trees, I started with a 12" length and a cross connector followed by 9" lengths with cross connectors between each.  The final piece was 6" and topped with a cap.


Next I started at the top and figured out how long I wanted the branches to be.
On the 3/4" pipe tree I started with 5" branches on the top, 8" for the second row, 11" for the third row, and 14" for the fourth and final bottom row. 


Each branch was finished with an end cap.


For the larger 1" pipe tree, I started with 8" branches on the top row, 12" on the second, 16" on the third, 20" on the fourth, and 24" on the fifth and final bottom row.  Again, each branch was finished with an end cap.

 

3' lengths of rebar were pounded into the ground to thread the 3/4" pipe trees on for support; a 6' length of rebar was used for the larger 1" pipe tree.


Once securely in the ground, I simply slipped the finished trees over the rebar supports.

 

For a splash of color, each finished tree was topped with a red, gold, and green holiday ribbon.
The finished height of the smaller 3/4" pipe tree stands at about 54" and the larger 1" pipe tree at about 80 inches. The cost of each of the smaller trees came in at just under $23.  The larger tree at just under $27.


It's a simple enough display that looks pretty good during the day...



and keeps up with the neighbors at night!

Happy Holidays to All!



All photographs taken by Paulette Rodriguez.

2 comments:

  1. There are many reasons to be jolly! Hooray for this Christmas trees! I will try to make one using PVC Pipes in the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The vision of these sweet little trees bringing holiday joy in the Philippines makes me happy! Thanks, Keith.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments. It may take a little time for your comment to post. Thanks in advance for your patience.