Sunday, October 18, 2015

Inspiring, Rusty Metal Junk

Earlier this month a few girlfriends and I headed out to Wimberley Market Days in Wimberley, Texas. This open-air flea market, held on the first Saturday of each month, has something for everyone. Particularly if one is a junker!

And especially if one has a penchant for rusty, old, metal junk!


like this New Royal sewing machine treadle,


or this lovely rusty rotary tiller with flaky, green paint!


and oh my! how about this chair innerspring!

Call me crazy (and many folks do), but I do so love this stuff!

Even my dedicated flea market friends commented politely, as I lovingly gazed upon my treasures, "Well that's interesting.  What are you gonna do with it?" their faces betraying their inner thoughts of, She's gone absolutely MAD! 

Perhaps I am a bit off my rocker, but these rusty relics make me happy. In them I see interesting shapes, color, texture, and function.  
I see ART!


Most of my rusty metal pieces get hung on the backyard fence or placed in my garden.


Occasionally a piece, or collection, will make its way into the house to be part of a unique vignette.
And every once in awhile a piece becomes the muse, inspiring whimsical ideas to creative crafters.


Take the inner spring for example. It appears to be just a spiral of old rusty wire, but to a junker and crafter, it becomes...


the base to a folk art bobble head,


a holder for holiday cards and photos,


or a snack holder for a rustic-themed tea, brunch or wedding reception.


It was in one of the last pathways of the flea market that we came upon a vendor with several innersprings. A huge double bed mattress innerspring caught my eye. I wanted it; I wanted it bad! But I just couldn't think of how I'd use it...yet that caused me to pass and go with the much smaller chair size.  I figured I could think of some way to use it, and in the mean time it was small enough to be stashed away until inspiration hit.


As luck would have it, I found inspiration in a kitchen drawer.
I had several of these metal flower napkin rings that hadn't gotten much use.  I thought the golden yellow and burnt orange would look great on a fall wreath to hang on the front door.  But why use a traditional wreath when you've got a fabulous chair innerspring just waiting to be adorned!


And so...I attached the metal flowers to the innerspring with some wire,


then slid in some vintage Halloween postcards,


and tied on some rafia grass


to make this unique door "wreath!"
Perfectly wicked, wild, and weird for the Halloween season.

Oh, and p.s...Guess who's going back in early November to get one of those big, ol' mattress innersprings?  

All photographs taken by Paulette Rodriguez.


3 comments:

  1. Whimsy and creativity at its finest! Love the photos and ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rusty things too! Love this blog! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comment, Jessica. It's always comforting to know there are others who love rusty junk! Makes me feel a little less crazy somehow.

      Delete

I welcome your comments. It may take a little time for your comment to post. Thanks in advance for your patience.