Saturday, July 11, 2015

Cupboard Door Message Board


Create a sweet, little message board from a discarded cupboard door!


So a coworker was given several oak cupboard doors when her apartment complex began updating the kitchens in one of the buildings. As an art teacher she knows how to spot, and ask for, potential art materials. She was kind enough to share.


The smaller of the two boards was successfully transformed into a key rack with the addition of some vintage silver-plated spoons.


This larger door would become a chalkboard message board.
I started by painting the entire cupboard door with chalk paint. 


 I used an unfamiliar brand that I picked up at the nearby home improvement store -
Americana Decor in the color "Vintage". Worked beautifully.


Next, I sealed the raised border with dark wax. I applied a liberal amount of wax, let it sit for a minute or two, then wiped off any excess.  When the wax dried sufficiently, I taped off the perimeter of the recessed panel. 


I applied three coats of chalkboard paint allowing plenty of dry time in between each coat.


When the paint was completely dry, I removed the masking tape and added a couple of picture hangers on the back.


 Hung in a handy place, this little message board is useful and attractive, and it was so much fun to make.

All photographs taken by Paulette Rodriguez.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. It may take a little time for your comment to post. Thanks in advance for your patience.