Saturday, December 27, 2014

Wool Jackets Revisited


My newest obsession involves men's wool jackets.
Purchased from charity shops, thrift stores, and garage sales, these inexpensive jackets supply this crafter with beautiful, high-quality fabric.


After successfully creating a cover for my laptop from the above men's jacket, and unsuccessfully creating a tree skirt from a few others, I knew I could re-purpose them one more time in the form of a small lap quilt.  


I began cutting the jackets into 7" squares, intentionally incorporating the pockets, sleeve buttons, and existing seams.


When that was no longer possible, I cut 4" x 7" rectangles knowing that when I sewed two together using a 1/2" seam I'd end up with a 7" square.


Once I had all the possible pieces cut, I began to sew them together.


I started by pairing up and sewing all of my 4" x 7" rectangles, then combining my squares into 4-squares.  I then laid them out to determine how I wanted the finished quilt to be arranged.  Once that was determined, I sewed them all together.


I used a lightweight quilt batting and backed it with flannel.  


I simply tied the quilt layers together using yarn.


This small lap quilt is packed with personality, whimsy, and charm - the secret compartment pocket being my son's favorite thing of all!


All photographs taken by Paulette Rodriguez.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. It may take a little time for your comment to post. Thanks in advance for your patience.