Saturday, June 21, 2014

What's In Sarah's Garage?

Recently my friend, Sarah, had a massive reduction sale of her antiques collection.  After a few years of operating a booth in a local antiques mall, she decided to close up her booth and take her wares on the road.  After several fairs and barn sales, she's decided to take some time off.

Knowing her taste, style, and design aesthetic, I had to see what was in Sarah's garage!
I drove to her home in the lovely hills of Northwest Austin and discovered a treasure trove of antiques and collectibles.


There was so much to take in, but I began to narrow my focus to items I knew I could use in my already crowded home.  


I loved this well-worn table and the collection of blue glass Ball jars sitting atop.  
Unfortunately, I don't have a place in my home for the table, and I already have several blue glass Ball jars.  But upon looking closer I spied a plate of old, rusty, skeleton keys!  


I've been keeping an eye out for a couple of old keys for a library lesson.  It involves a magic trick bag, a key, and student library cards.  Here I found a couple of old relics that will make the lesson that much more magical.


Sarah had so many lovely items displayed on a varied assortment of dressers, tables, and typewriter carts.
I almost missed this beauty!


So glad she pointed it out to me, because it is exactly what I needed to display one of my many vintage typewriters!


It was like reuniting two old friends!


I have it displayed in one of our guest rooms, its color and scale just perfect!


I continued to look around...and around...and around.  There was so much to see.  I was interested in everything, but knew I had to be selective.  I had to know where each piece I chose would fit into my home.


I walked past these old paint brushes a few times, but eventually they convinced me they needed to come home with me.


It was only natural that the two brushes would end up on display in my laundry/craft supply room.  
I love the scale and texture of these two!

 

It seemed that everywhere I turned there was some unusual piece.  This gigantic light bulb was amazing!
I was so happy that it went home with a dear friend of mine, as it was Truly Unique and perfect for a science teacher's home!


My love of all things metal and mechanical led me to select a few odds and ends.  


The set of three rusty gears I snatched up at first sight.  After a good scrubbing...


they made their way to my living room wall!  
I adore these!


The silver plated tea spoons I selected match some of the vintage flatware I currently use.  And here in Texas, folks need to keep plenty of teaspoons handy for a tall glass of summer sweet tea!


Sarah had quite a few shutters and old wooden screens.  I'd been wanting screens for the middle school library, but since I've moved to a new school I wasn't sure how I would use them.  I bought them because they were in good shape, they had plenty of charm, and the color was perfect for my home.


Now I know that hanging them in my home is perhaps a bit unconventional, but I LOVE them!


My home has an open floor plan.
I prefer cozy rooms.
The hanging screens act as just enough of a barrier that the openness is maintained, but I get the cozy feel I so desire.
There's just enough room between the screens right above the bar to hang a diner sign.
Guess that'll be the next treasure I search for!


I went ahead a purchased this large screen as well.  
I'm not certain how I'll use it...yet, but I simply couldn't pass up this one up!
It's HUGE!
I feel like there are a number of possibilities for this gem...I'm just not sure what they are...yet!


Just as I wasn't sure what the above "nuts" were.
Years ago I kept one that I'd taken from a small pile my mother had on display in her home.  I kept it in my jacket pocket.
As a dedicated "fidgeter", it kept my hands busy on long walks.
I never really knew what it was; I just liked that it fit in hand and found it soothing to rub with my thumb.  Seems I'm not the only one to do so, as some folks believe these buckeye nuts bring good luck.


And as luck would have it, I found a perfect place to set my pile of buckeyes!

I will be forever grateful to Sarah.
Not just for the wonderful treasures I've added to my home, but for the support and encouragement she gave when I first started my junking and subsequent blogging endeavors.
I am thrilled to know that my home now has some real Barn Chic!

Visit Sarah's blog, Barn Chic Antiques, to learn about her antiquing experiences and to get further inspiration on incorporating some Barn Chic to your home!

All photographs taken by Paulette Rodriguez.


1 comment:

  1. As for the Buckeye nuts, you must read Chancy and the Grand Rascal by Sid Fleischman - you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments. It may take a little time for your comment to post. Thanks in advance for your patience.