Sunday, April 20, 2014

Chair Back Covers


I love to fill my home with color and whimsy!
When I feel like adding a splash of color to my dining room, I turn to my favorite supply of colorful cotton plaid in men's shirts.  


I can always find a nice affordable, colorful array of men's shirts at the local charity shops I frequent.


With a few simple modifications a men's dress shirt can be made into a slipcover for the backs of my rather plain dining room chairs.


I start by selecting 4 men's dress shirts with coordinating colors and patterns.


Next I measure the widest part of my chair back.

  

I then mark the shirt that width plus one inch for 1/2 seam allowances on each side.  I then trim off the excess  straight up each side of the shirt, cutting through both front and back.


I cut straight across the top just under the collar.


With right sides together and aligning along the bottom, I sew the front and back together at sides and across the top with 1/2 inch seams.


I turn it right side out and press, then slide it right over the back of my chair.

 

I've made and used several sets of these fun and colorful chair back covers for holidays, special occasions, and to mark the changes of seasons.


Above is a set I use for Independence Day and a set I use for fall.

This sew-simple idea has helped me splash color, pattern, and whimsy to my simple dining room whenever the fancy strikes!

All photographs taken by Paulette Rodriguez.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. It may take a little time for your comment to post. Thanks in advance for your patience.