Sunday, November 3, 2013

Awesome Auctions


Every now and then I'll browse ebay to see if I can find any deals on the things I collect.
Recently I bid on this trio of Thermos bottles.  The colors were so vibrant and the bottles looked to be in immaculate condition.  I placed my bid, and waited....and waited....and waited...
As the auction drew to a close, I sat with great anticipation and the fear that some unknown bidder would swoop down in the last couple of seconds and snatch 'em up.  It's happened to me before. 
Thankfully not this time.  My bottles arrived about a week later, and I was happy to see that they more than met my expectations.

 

Now I knew I could score some great vintage finds through ebay auctions, and I knew I could find great vintage items at the Goodwill.  But what I didn't realize is that Goodwill also has auctions, both online and at their stores.  I'd never paid much attention to the store auctions, but decided to give it a try when I saw this fabulous produce scale up for bid.  I looked in the silent bid binder and saw that it was going for what I considered a fair price.  All I had to do was bid a dollar more than the previous bidder and hope that no one else bid before the close of the auction.  I wrote down my bid and headed home.  At the close of the auction I anxiously awaited the phone call that would tell me I'd won.  It didn't come.  I waited some more.  It still didn't come.  
Just when I'd accepted the fact that I'd been outbid, I got the call.
I immediately jumped in my car and drove over to pick it up.  
I plan to hang it in my bathroom upstairs and put extra towels in it.


When I came home from work today this box was waiting for me.
It wasn't a surprise; I knew what was going to be inside.  That didn't diminish my excitement.


Like a kid on Christmas, I carried my box inside and ripped it open.  There inside were the books I'd won in an ebay auction  - 14 beautiful Reader's Digest Condensed Books from the 1980s,



their colorful patterned covers perfect for my craft projects.


See, what you need to know is just how long I'd been searching for these.  I'd scoured all the local thrift stores for these books. I found some Reader's Digest Condensed Books but they were published more recently and lacked the colorful patterned covers.  And this is why I turned to ebay.

When I am looking for something very specific, I search the ebay auction listings until I find exactly what I am looking for, I bid only what I'm willing to pay keeping in mind the added postage, and I wait.  Sometimes I'm outbid, but many times I am rewarded for my patience.

All photographs taken by Paulette Rodriguez.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. It may take a little time for your comment to post. Thanks in advance for your patience.