Saturday, October 19, 2013

Burlap Wreath


I purchased quite a long piece of burlap at one of my thrift store stops last weekend.  The remnant was only about 15 inches wide, but was at least 10 feet long.

I washed it.  In my washing machine.  I dried it.  In my drier.
BIG MISTAKE...big, big, big mistake.

I knew it was going to fray and I'd likely have to clean out my drier vent several times during the drier cycle, but Wow!  I ended up with a mangled, tangled mess of a ball of frayed burlap. 

I painstakingly trimmed the frayed knots of fibers, ironed and trimmed the sides evenly, and shook out clouds of jute dust, until I was left with a 10 inch wide, 9 foot length of clean usable burlap.



Without any forethought of what my finished product might become, I just rode the flow of the creative process.


I pulled a wire hanger out of my husband's dry cleaning bag, bent it into a circular shape, and opened it by untwisting the hook.


I folded the burlap strip in half lengthwise and began to thread the wire through the fold of the burlap.


Once the entire length of burlap was loaded onto the hanger, I closed the wire back up, thinking I'd use the original hook to hang the finished wreath.  Because the burlap was a little floppy, I cut the wire hanger a bit smaller to tighten the pack of the burlap.  


I then pulled open the two layers of burlap, tissue-paper-flower-style and voila!... 


a durable & rugged burlap wreath perfect for hanging outdoors...or in.

All photographs by Paulette Rodriguez.

3 comments:

  1. I laugh because I did the exact same thing with washing and drying. What a nightmare! Did it look something like this? http://barnchicantiques.blogspot.com/2012/01/what-not-to-wash.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! Thank goodness we junkers also have very good senses of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paulette, really love your blog! I work for Reloved, a UK magazine about creative upcycling. Would you be interested in chatting to us about working together? If so, please email me at rachel (dot) beckwith (at) anthem-publishing.com.

    Many thanks and hope to hear from you!
    Rachel, Production Editor

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments. It may take a little time for your comment to post. Thanks in advance for your patience.