Sunday, September 15, 2013

Old Book Page Garland

I was scanning all the junking blogs I follow, and I saw a post in SisterShic's recent blog that got my heart just a'racin'!  It was a fabulous garland made from pages of an old book.


I decided to make one with just a few modifications and alterations.



I started by gathering supplies: cheap old books, string, a needle with a large eye, and a couple large buttons.

Begin with a couple of old books you no longer need or read.  Books with pages that are browned with age work well for this project.  These can be found at garage sales, thrift stores, or library discard piles.


Begin by tearing pages from the book.


Crumple each individual page as if you were going to throw it away.


Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
This is a great step during which you can get your kids or husband to help!


Next, un-crumple the pages leaving most of the wrinkles.  You want to keep the wrinkles in the paper to give volume in your swag.


Thread the string through the eye of the needle. 


Now, from the bottom, thread the string through button holes of just one of your buttons.  


Knot the string on the back of the button. This will work as the anchor of your swag and prevent the pages from coming off the end of the string.


Thread the string through the center of each page. 


Repeat.  Repeat.  Repeat...
 until your swag is the desired length.  For long swags you may need to use multiple books.


To finish the end, thread the string through the eyes of the second button and tie a knot on the underside of the button.


Hang up and enjoy!

All photos taken by Paulette Rodriguez.

5 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! I found it on google, and wanted to stop by and invite you to link it up to a party that twelve other bloggers and I are hosting. The theme is "Book Pages, Canvas, and Sheet Music", and your garland would be a wonderful addition! We'd love to have you join in to the fun! Hope you can stop by - http://stringtownhome.net/?p=754

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking me in. Great group of sites with wonderful projects!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE!!!!!! I am totally making this. Thanks for sharing! Oh! I'm visiting from the link party mentioned above. New FAN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great garland. I love all of the volume and the affect the browned pages give it. I'm afraid my daughter would die if she saw a book being ripped apart. She has a love of books that is pretty rare. When she was little, if she got in trouble really bad, we grounded her from books for a day.That was the worst punishment we could give her. Thank you for linking up to Tips and Tricks. I hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments. It may take a little time for your comment to post. Thanks in advance for your patience.