Monday, July 22, 2013

My Radio Flyer Obsession


So much depends 
upon

a red 
wagon

worn and 
weathered

beside the wooden fence.






I popped into the thrift store this morning and was thrilled to find a slightly rusted and worn wagon!  I've been wanting one of these for years, and have seen various old wagons at antique stores and flea markets.  But even junkers have standards.  And for me, the standard is a classic red & white Radio Flyer!  So imagine my excitement when that is exactly what I found!

While hosing it down after bringing it home I thought about the other Radio Flyers I've picked up over the years.


This darling, minuscule Classic Red 12" Cruiser with training wheels was my first.  Though not an antique, nor even vintage for that matter, this classic red and white bike has an abundance of charm and personality and that's why I just had to have it!  Its solid construction ensures longevity and the promise of its own official "antique" status in the future.


I love the "NO BRAKES" warning!  
An added element of danger which no doubt adds to the thrill of the ride.


I purchased this classic tricycle a couple of years ago at a thrift store in Austin.  It was sitting right in front of the entrance doors.  I was so surprised to see that no one had snatched it up before me, and totally shocked to find out it was on sale for half price! This one is especially dear to me, as it looks so much like the one my family had when growing up.  There are several old pictures in the family albums of my siblings sitting on a tricycle just like this.


And so my collection grew.


Though not a Radio Flyer, this Schylling Speedster Fire Truck holds its own in my small collection of red & white ride-on toys.  


Filled with personality and charm, this little ride-on inspires the hero and child inside.
I use this little guy in my summer holiday displays, but throughout the year he sits atop the entertainment center in our family room.


Parked along the back fence these bikes appear ready for a parade! 


The newest addition to my bike collection fits in perfectly despite having a motor.  Apparently bikes, as well as little girls, have to grow up sometime.

All photographs taken by Paulette Rodriguez.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. It may take a little time for your comment to post. Thanks in advance for your patience.