Sunday, June 2, 2013

Picture Windows

I love taking pictures and there's no better subject than my own kids.  Though they're grown now, those special moments captured during their childhood remain cherished.  
I've tried to display my favorites tastefully.


One of my favorite displays is this picture window.  I purchased the old wood-framed, six-pane window at a flea market years ago.  I used it as found aside from a good cleaning and a light sanding.  
To display photos, I simply strung picture wire across the back horizontally and attached it to either side of the window frame by twisting the wire through eye screws.


I then clipped simple metal bull clips to the wire and to the selected photos.  I slid the bull hooks so each photo would be centered in the window panes.  



I like the way the photos hang informally.


The picture window hangs at the stair landing from another picture wire mounted to the window through eye screws.  


The stairway features more favorite pictures.  


On the stair wall I chose to have all the photos hang vertically following the angle of the banister, 


each photo framed simply in black frames with white matting.  


On the top landing another group of photos is displayed under a hand-painted favorite quote. 


This time I wanted to interrupt the uniformity of all vertical photos, so I chose to put one horizontal photo in the center.  


I choose to use our own family photos as artwork in most rooms of the house.  In every room I am reminded of wonderful family moments.  


Below is an old baby crib spring I picked up at the digs.  A few weeks ago I used it at a friend's baby shower as a cute display using vintage baby photos, stings of pearls, a flash card, and a pieced quote, "What are little girls made of..."


I was very pleased with how it turned out and haven't had the heart to dismantle it.  I've got a few more baby showers to help with, so I'm sure this will be remade a few more times before I have to decide how and where to display it more permanently.


Yet another upcoming project is this gorgeous 8-pane window.  I haven't quite figured out how I'll use it just yet, but I'm certain inspiration will come.

Let there be many windows to your soul, that all the glory of the world may beautify it.
~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox~

All photographs taken by Paulette Rodriguez.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. It may take a little time for your comment to post. Thanks in advance for your patience.