Sunday, May 19, 2013

Wooden Pants Hangers and Vintage Maps

I recently did some spring cleaning and took a trunk load of discards to the local Goodwill.  Included in the load were some pieces of inexpensive wall art I had hanging in the powder room.  My husband said the brightly painted flowers in the artwork clashed with the license plate ceiling. I didn't really mind parting with it, except that now we had this very long and narrow blank wall.


As I was moving laundry from the washing machine to the drier the other day, I noticed some blank artist canvas boards I had stored on my crafts shelf.  I had four canvases, but no frames. 



 I pondered for a minute and saw this calendar page hanging from a wooden pants hanger to the left of my drier.

 


I knew I had a few wooden pants hangers from which I could hang the canvas boards.  I clamped a board into a pants hanger and calculated that I could hang three in the available space above the commode.  Now I just had to come up with an appropriate subject; one that would make sense in a bathroom tiled in license plates.  

I opened my crafting cupboards to look for inspiration, and sure enough I found the perfect subject matter - Maps!


Sometime last summer I picked up this 1979 World Atlas thinking I'd someday want it for a project.  Now, almost a year later, it was exactly what I needed. 


I gathered up my supplies: 
canvas boards
atlas
decoupage medium (Mod-Podge)
brush
scissors
wooden pants hangers
string
tape measure



I looked through the atlas finally selecting three maps: North Dakota, Texas, and Montana.

 

I spread the Mod-Podge in a thin layer over the canvas board, then decoupaged each map onto its own board.  


I tore the atlas pages into pieces and layered them to fit on the canvas board creating an interesting composition.  


I added a couple of additional thin layers of the decoupage medium to get a good seal, drying them in the sun between layers.  


While the boards were drying, I determined where I wanted the first to hang.  I then attached a weighted string from the first nail to guide me in placing the additional nails ensuring  a straight line.  


I used the tape measure to determine the nail spacing.  
Finally when the decoupaged boards were completely dry, I clamped them into the wooden pants hangers, and hung them up.  


Wooden Pants Hangers + Vintage Atlas Maps = Awesome Vertical Display!


 All photographs taken by Paulette Rodriguez.

1 comment:

  1. J.S. Hanger Deluxe Wooden Pants Hangers from Bizarkdeal

    these hangers are absolutely the best i have gotten. i love the wood and the metal clasp on them , it has made it so easy for me to hang all my slacks and the jeans and keep them nice and neat. the hangers are very lightweight and they are not bulky like i have come to find with others i have purchased so you are able to use more of them and save lots of room in your closet. i like to usually air dry my jeans and with the wooden hangers they can hold the weight of damp jeans and keep them firmly grasped to where you will not have them slipping and falling to the floor and you having to launder them again. the metal hooks on the top of the hangers also will not bend allowing you to hang your garments and the hangers breaking and you having to purchase even more . they will save you a bunch of money because they are very durable and if you have clothing of different sizes the awesome metal grasp freely move on the rod allowing you to find the perfect fit for your garments. they will not become dirty but if so you can simply wipe them down, and the wood on the hangers will not break or wear out. i use these not just for pants but skirts and i have found they are perfect for all my scarfs . these are the best .

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments. It may take a little time for your comment to post. Thanks in advance for your patience.