Monday, April 29, 2013

When One Door Closes...

I have the day off.  It's what we in education call a "Weather Day."  School districts reserve a couple of extra days in their calendars each year in case bad weather causes school cancellations.  The reserved days get used only when a cancellation occurs.  Turns out this was a good year.  No school days had to be canceled, so I got the day off.  
I went junking.

I headed out to Georgetown, Texas in search of a place called The Gatherings.  A friend suggested I go check it out.  I arrived shortly after 10:00 a.m. but found the store closed.  Guess I should have looked it up online before driving over.  
While heading back toward home I remembered a shop I'd visited last spring that was just off highway 29 on Railroad Street.  I drove over.  

 

Welcome to The Caring Place, 2000 Railroad Street, Georgetown, Texas.


  Just inside the main store is Re-Finds, a little shop with an assortment of antiques, collectibles, and vintage items.


Re-Finds relies on donations and adds stock daily.  I must have come at a good time, as 
I scored a few awesome items.


I spent a bit of time looking over this interesting folk-art coin toss game.  
Known as The Frog Game, this one comes complete with coins!


Yep, a rack of quintessential vintage aprons.  I looked through them and found one I just had to have.


This handmade vintage apron comes complete with an organdy overlay.  
So sweet and feminine.


I loved the array of vintage gloves dripping over this display door.


Dishes, serving bowls, and assorted housewares were abundant.


I so wanted this wire hat stand.  Unfortunately it wasn't for sale.  
Can't say I blame them; I'd hold onto it, too.


This round, oak table was solid.  It came with a nice, protective, glass top.  If I didn't already have a round dining table, I would have considered taking this one home.


It was among this assortment of household items that I spied...


this fabulous golden globe.  I'll call it "newly vintage" as it probably was made in the late 80's.  It will look great in my growing collection.


Several electric mixers anchored this kitchen display.


It was right near this display of glass serving dishes that I found...


this 1986 Audiotronics record player.  It's still wearing the school district's inventory control tag from which it came - how charming!


I sure wish I could have rescued this old guy, case and all.


I really liked this odd spherical serving dish.  I didn't know for what it was used, so I left it behind.  Now I wish I'd gotten it.  Turns out it's a caviar serving dish.  I'd likely never use it for serving caviar, but I sure did like the way the hinged dome rolled back.


I did purchase this single Oneida serving spoon.  It only set me back $1.50.  I'm not sure how I'll use it, likely it'll end up hanging around my neck.  


I guess old Alexander Graham Bell was right on when he so wisely said, "When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us." Thankfully I didn't allow myself to look so long and so regretfully upon the "Closed" sign at The Gatherings, instead heading right on over to The Caring Place to snag a few awesome finds.  


With nearly half the day left to enjoy, I think I'll just kick back, relax, and listen to Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass.
It just doesn't get much better than this.

All photographs taken by Paulette Rodriguez. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. It may take a little time for your comment to post. Thanks in advance for your patience.