Sunday, April 21, 2013

Thrift, Reuse, Repurpose

I've been talking a lot about the upcoming Aprons & Pearls tea party we're planning for the upcoming family reunion.  I'm having such fun gathering and creating decorations for the affair.  Last weekend I finished up the invites which won't actually need to go out for some time yet, but I was inspired by a box of blank, craft-store invitations and pages torn from a thrift-store book.  Each card is different, but all have the same handmade, rustic, vintage feel.


On a recent trip to "the digs" I purchased this lovely Pottery Barn duvet cover and yet another set of Scrabble tiles.  I don't have a duvet to cover, but I knew the fabric would lend itself well to being converted into a couple of summer table cloths, perfect for afternoon tea.

 

After a thorough washing, I cut it apart and had two very large pieces with which to work.  I roll-hemmed all sides, pressed with a steam iron, and found them to be the perfect fit for a standard picnic table.  

Last week when I was using up my large scraps of fabric to make pennants, I came across a fairly large piece of burlap.  I decided to cut the burlap into 7 x 2 1/2-inch strips which I looped and glued.  My mother was enlisted to create fabric yo-yos from her fabric scraps and buttons.  I paired them with the burlap loops to create adorable, rustic napkin rings.  
Scrabble tile tags will act as monograms for our Aprons & Pearls Tea Party guests.



Rustic, handmade charm created from thrift-store finds!

All photographs taken by Paulette Rodriguez.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. It may take a little time for your comment to post. Thanks in advance for your patience.