Sunday, April 14, 2013

Fabric Scrap Pennant Banner


Like most women who sew and craft I always have lots of left-overs.  Unlike the leftovers in my fridge, fabric and crafting leftovers never go bad; they just pile up. 
When my crafting cupboard doors won't close that's a sure sign that I need to clean out my stores.    

So I've got this rather large-ish pile of fabric scraps - cotton calicos mostly.  I gather them up and spread 'em out.  I stare at them awhile.  Cock my head to the left...and to the right.  I ponder.  
Then SNAP!  It hits me.  

With this particular pile I decide to make a pennant swag or bunting.  The scraps appear to be large enough to be able to cut two-sided pennants.  
I head to the home office and get a piece of printer paper - 8 1/2" x 11".


I fold it in half vertically.


Cut it diagonally.


Open it up on the fold,...


 and my pattern is ready.


Next, I cut my fabric to 11" in length.

I then laid my pattern out and began cutting pennants.


I pair single pennants to make them two-sided.  When enough fabric is available, I fold my fabric and cut two simultaneously.


I cut as many as I can.  


Then I collect what I have,


and lay them out in a somewhat random order.


Using extra-wide, double-fold seam binding tape...


I slip the pennant inside the binding tape and stitch...



adding another pennant immediately after the previous.


When the seam binding runs out,  I stop and change the stitch on my machine to zigzag. 


I zigzag stitch around each pennant, back-stitching at each top corner.   


Next, I trim all loose threads,


and press neatly.


It's ready to hang and add color and joy to any space or venue!


If you don't have enough scraps, it's a great excuse to head on down to the fabric store and see what's new.  1/3 of a yard of several fun fabrics will create a fabulous pennant swag.

I'm currently hanging this one in a display at school and will likely use it again at my upcoming summer family reunion.

Sew chic!

All photographs taken by Paulette Rodriguez.c

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. It may take a little time for your comment to post. Thanks in advance for your patience.