Wednesday, August 8, 2012

My New Favorite Find

Favorite Find Number 1 - The Blue Stool


I saw this little stool at the digs last weekend.  I debated whether or not I should buy it. I wasn't crazy about the bright blue paint, but the structure was solid, so I decided to take it.  Once home, I washed it and then took the sander to it to scruff it up a little and get some of the peeling paint chips off.  I've been using it ever since. Clearly it's worth each one of the 3 or 4 dollars I spent on it.  
I recently had foot and ankle surgery, and I have been on strict bed rest.  
When in the living room the little blue stool has been by my side serving me well.  It's held all of my important gadgets within arm's reach: my coffee, cell phone, laptop, and a glass of water.  It served as a table for my meals, a stand for my wash basin, and now displays my "get well" flowers.
 I had no idea how badly I needed this little blue stool, and now I have a bit of a sentimental attachment to it as well.



When I shop at the digs I never know what I'm going to come across.  I spotted this little plastic case at the bottom of a huge bin that had already been picked over.  I'm sure no one even bothered to open it up to see what was inside.  But I did, and I was delighted with what I found...

Favorite Find Number 2 - Vintage Dymo Label Writer


This Dymo label writer set came complete with 3 alphabet wheels and 3 different colored adhesive tapes! 
It works! and the labels are so wonderfully, authentically vintage!  
My guess is that it's from the mid to late 1970s.


Speaking of the 70s...let's talk about... 

Favorite Find Number 3 - Woolworth's Woolco Bicycle


Let me say first off that I had no idea that Woolworth's even sold bicycles, so imagine my surprise when my neighbor told me about this one, and then offered to sell it to me for twenty bucks.  I was delighted with the deal, as I've been looking for an older bike to park in my garden.  I just love the bike rack on the back.  

Woolworth Woolco Bicycle
I attached the wicker basket on the front of the bike with some leather straps and finished it off with some fresh cut flowers.  The bike is in good working condition and certainly can still be ridden, but for now I'm using it for display.
I can't wait to use it for a photography prop.  Just imagine it in an
engagement or wedding photo!

 My vintage Woolworth Woolco bicycle led me to this great find...

Favorite Find Number 4 - Texas Rangerette Bicycle


 Last year I saw an article, "The Good Ideas House," in Flea Market Style magazine (Summer 2011, pages 85 - 95) that featured a Minnesota vintage style showhouse.  I was, and still am, obsessed with that article and the many creative ideas featured.  Perhaps, for me, the most striking was the artwork above the living room's mantle - it was a vintage bicycle!  It made such a whimsical, bold display!  It left an indelible impression.  Then last month when visiting the Sherlock's farmstead, Ilene's  childhood bicycle was featured as a garden display.  Again, it was bold and whimsical, and I simply loved it.  


 So when I stumbled upon an ebay auction for a vintage bicycle while researching my Woolworth's bike, it stopped me in my tracks.  The images of those fabulous vintage bikes flashed through my brain and sent a very clear message, 
"I want that bike."
It's a Texas Rangerette for crying out loud!  I live in Texas! It had the back rack, the tank up front, those fabulous fenders, whitewalls, and the bell!  I had to buy it.  If not now, then when? The opportunity to buy a bike like this might never again present itself.

So I bid. I won! And the bike has come home.

Texas Rangerette Bicycle
My bike was delivered about a week ago.  I put it together, rode it around the cul-de-sac, and now it's parked along the back fence under my garland of license plates.  I can see it through the window as I lie here convalescing...and it makes me feel better.  


Four fabulous finds; each one unique.

All photographs taken by Paulette Rodriguez and Andres Rodriguez.

Source Citation:
Hofmann-Borque, Christine, and Kim Cornelison. "The Good Ideas House." Flea Market Style Summer 
        2011: 84-95. Print.


3 comments:

  1. Get well soon, Paulette!! Glad you found some good treasures to write about - that label maker is awesome! And of course I love the bikes. Great finds! Heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Paulette

    My name is Ben Yorkell. I own a sign shop that has just been contacted to help restore a Texas Rangerette bike, and I was wondering if you could help me out by sending me some close up high resolution pictures of the front tank and chain guard so I might have something to go off of for the graphics.

    Thank you!

    Ben Yorkell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben, I'd be happy to help you out. I've taken some photos for you, but am not sure where to send them. You may contact me at the following email address, and I will then reply back and attach the photos you requested.
      pauletterodriguez63@gmail.com

      Delete

I welcome your comments. It may take a little time for your comment to post. Thanks in advance for your patience.