Earlier this week I traveled to my hometown of Grand Forks, North Dakota. My luggage for this trip? - a medium-sized, vintage Samsonite suitcase. It surpassed the allowable size limit for a carry-on, so it had to be checked. I paid the additional baggage fee, and was happy to do so, as I've been anxious to try the pet bed project with a classic case for my sister's dogs, Maggie and Carl.
The first order of business was to get the two suitcase halves apart - a much more complicated task than I imagined. I purchased a package of reinforced carbide blades for the Dremel hoping they would be strong enough to cut the ends off the hinge pins making it possible to remove the pins and separate the two halves of the suitcase without damage. According to my father, who was kind enough to do the cutting, it worked quite well. While my mother and I went to a few of the local thrift stores in search of possible fabric options for the pillow case, my father cut and removed the hinge pins. He also graciously found some salvaged table legs from an old coffee table and cut them to size.
My mother suggested we clean off some of the remaining scuff marks on the suitcase. Now please understand I'd cleaned and scrubbed this case already, but my clean is a little different than my mother's clean. She suggested we use some WD-40 and fine steel wool. I can honestly say I'd never think to try that myself, but I've got to hand it to her, the case looked gorgeous when we finished.
The next morning Dad and I went out back to the garage to drill the holes in the suitcase halves and legs for the screws with which we would attach the legs.
Mother found a couple of fabric remnants from her own fabric stash that promised to work well for the cases of the pillow inserts. Conveniently a standard bed pillow fit perfectly in each of the suitcase halves. I sewed the pillow cases, inserted the standard pillows, and assembled the beds. Mother, Dad, and I were all very pleased with the finished products.