Monday, May 21, 2012

The Softer Side of Junking



My junk obsession has begun to influence my clothing selections and personal style.

I noticed the other day when I spied my reflection as I left for work.  I'd selected a fitted gray coat dress paired with a short-sleeve cardigan with pearl buttons, sling-back kitten heels, and my patent leather red handbag. My hair was pulled up and clamped with a hair clip, as per usual.  And yes, I had a pencil stuck in my bun - the quintessential librarian... of the 1950s!


 I know a few women who find and wear vintage clothing.  I wish I were one of them.  Unfortunately I have to settle for the retro-look and not the real thing, as my body is of the 21st century and not the tiny-wasted figure of the past's mid-century.  Purses and accessories are truly one-size-fits-all, and that's why I've begun to snatch up vintage accessories whenever I find them.  A great vintage handbag, scarf, broach, or necklace can give current classic clothing that authentic vintage look.


A few weeks ago I found this brown handbag.  It's in great shape and its simple, elegant styling make it very versatile.  I paired this one up with a pair of  beige and brown sling-back spectator pumps and ankle-length fitted khaki pants. Topped off with my giant pearl bobble necklace and bobs (earrings) and the look was complete.


During this weekend's junking rounds I searched each and every store's racks for vintage purses.  I was rewarded with this navy blue tweed handbag.  I haven't built an ensemble around it...yet, but I'm thinking it would look smashing with a white and tan pinstriped blazer (another thrift-store find) I have hanging in my closet.


So the next time you're out-and-about on a thrifting adventure allow your love of vintage to migrate into your wardrobe and discover classic beauty and style through the softer side of junking.





All photos taken by Paulette Rodriguez

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. It may take a little time for your comment to post. Thanks in advance for your patience.