Sunday, April 8, 2012

Wimberley Market Days



This past Saturday my family and I headed to the Texas Hill Country town of Wimberley, Texas. Located conveniently between San Antonio and Austin, this sleepy little town wakes up early the first Saturday of each month to welcome shoppers, junkers, pickers, and visitors for its Market Days celebration.


On this particular Saturday morning we opted for the back roads route in lieu of I-35. We were all so glad we did, as the country back roads were lined with Texas wild flowers in the full glory and splendor iconic to springtime in Texas.


Upon arrival in Wimberley we found plenty of parking nearby sponsored by various civic and school clubs at a minimal cost of a $5 donation.

The shady, tree-lined, paved walkways throughout the market made it easy and comfortable enough to shop all day. Two food pavilions offered up typical Texas BBQ, clean restrooms, and live music.


With over 400 vendor booths, shoppers found a great assortment of wares. There were booths devoted to a particular product - soap, honey, jellys, pork rinds, jewelry, clothing, or plants; while others had a little bit of everything and then some. Shop owners were friendly and knowledgeable about their products. Prices were fair and reasonable.


For a junker, collector, and antique enthusiast this place was a whole lotta' fun! There were surprises seemingly awaiting around every corner. This stack of old whiskey boxes tickled my fancy, as I'm a life-long educator. I didn't buy them, but now wish I'd bought the one for my kitchen.


When I see great salvage pieces like this 1950s pink sink it reinforces my wish to buy and restore an old 1940s Chicago-style bungalow. I instantly had a whole design vision for a powder room based solely on this sink! Unfortunately I don't have a 1940s bungalow, nor do I live in Chicago, so the pink sink stayed behind.

So what did I find? Well I saw lots of things I wanted, but I limited myself to three vintage items:
1. a Kodak Instamatic camera, 2. an old man's hat, and 3. an electric fan.
What did I do with my finds? Well, you'll just have to wait and see...

For more information about the lovely town of Wimberley, Texas and Wimberley Market Days visit the web at http://www.shopmarketdays.com/

All photos by Paulette Rodriguez


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments. It may take a little time for your comment to post. Thanks in advance for your patience.